Got friends or family coming to visit?
With a little planning you and your home will be ready without much disruption to your regular schedule.
Spread out your preparations over a 5-day period.
The 5-day plan
4-5 days before
Get some big stuff out of the way that doesn’t have to be done at the last minute.
- If you are lucky enough to have a guest room that isn’t being used, wash the sheets so they are freshly laundered and straighten up the room, if needed.
- Steam cleaning – If you own a steam cleaner, freshen up the main room.
- Declutter the house – Make sure everything is where it belongs.
3 days before:
Get the outside work done so you aren’t tracking dirt into a clean house.
- Weed and trim
- Tend to flower beds, if needed
2 days before:
- Clean windows/sliding glass doors
- Catch up the laundry
- Prepare a meal plan for the days you have company and a grocery list so it is ready to go on grocery shopping day. Don’t forget your coupons! Think about what you will be doing (like sightseeing all day) and plan quick and easy meals for those days.
1 day before:
- Clean floors – vacuum and mop
- Clean kitchen – wipe down counters and appliances and clean the sink
- Clean bathrooms – restock your soaps at the sink and in the shower/tub. Make sure you have shampoo/conditioner available for your guests in case they forgot theirs. Refill your vanity containers such as Q-Tips, cotton balls, etc.
The arrival day:
- Touch up bathrooms, if needed
- Grocery shop using your list you created days ago
- Cook a few things in advance, if you can, so you can spend your time with your guests, not in the kitchen.
- Bake a cake. Don’t you love arriving at your destination to the delicious smell of a freshly baked cake?
Enjoy your guests
By the time they arrive, you will have everything done and can relax and enjoy the time with friends/family.